This makeup tip is the best makeup tip I have ever thought of. It’s the one tip that has nothing to do with makeup.
Imagine painting a beautiful portrait. You chose the finest quality brushes made from the most precious materials in sizes guaranteed to make every brush stroke count. Your pigments are lush, deep, and vibrant. Your lighting is perfection: pure unadulterated light on the clearest day. You relax your shoulders, breathe deeply, take up your brush, and poise yourself to place the first drop of glorious color to your canvas: a rock. Not a river rock, smoothed and polished, but a rock with crags and peaks, rough edges, and holes. It is going to take some serious work to get this portrait to look like a work of art.
The best makeup tip that’s NOT about makeup: start with the best canvas.
Any makeup is going to look better when the foundation is good! (No pun intended!) Start with the healthiest skin you can create. Skin that is properly hydrated, with good texture and minimal sun damage, is going to provide you with the best canvas for the most beautiful makeup application.
- Cleanse. Use the best cleanser for your skin type, a product that won’t strip your skin or leave a film.
- Exfoliate. You can find plenty of products that help remove the dead skin cells that may be clogging your pores and making your skin look dull and tired. You can also seek the help of a professional who can administer a chemical peel, microdermabrasion or vibradermabrasion. You could also find a product with retinol to help your skin cells turn over faster. (We love Nouvelle+ from Neocutis.* Be careful to follow the directions with any topical.) When you renew your skin by turning over newer, younger cells, you are going to have a brighter, more refreshed look.
- Moisturize. Even if you have oily skin, it is imperative that you keep your cells hydrated. The common mistake with oily skin is using products that strip the oil. When your skin is stripped of oils, it automatically generates more pore-clogging, shine-producing oil…and the cycle goes on and on. Choose a product that keeps your skin hydrated without adding or increasing oil.
- BBL. BroadBand Light treatments are laser treatments that can go a step further to create your healthiest skin.
BBL is used to treat:
1. Acne and acne scars,
2. Sun damage, freckles, age spots,
3. Rosacea and other vascular (vein) redness, and more.
- Vampire Facial® or Vampire Facelift®. These trademarked procedures use PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) to help your skin renew itself. Studies show when PRP is used to rejuvenate tissue, the stem cells multiply and grow younger, healthier skin for increased volume, brighter, rosier color, and smoother texture.
- Protect. If you are going to put all this work and time into healing your skin, KEEP IT HEALTHY. Purchase a good broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen that is appropriate for use on the face. Use a product with Vitamin C, which helps create a protective barrier against the elements, as well as providing a smooth base for makeup application. (Another favorite of this author: RéACTIVE Anti-oxidant Serum powered by VITAPLEX C™*)
Your skin isn’t going to always be perfect; even the Hollywood stars have to deal with breakouts and wrinkles. But you don’t have to be a Hollywood star to take good care of your skin. It’s the first best thing you can do for your makeup regime.
*Our office carries the Neocutis items mentioned in this article. Feel free to stop by and purchase your own!